This gluten free jam cake is so buttery and delicious, you’ll have everyone asking for seconds!
Okay, are we ready for a super easy and irresistible single-layer eggless cake recipe? This cake might seem simple and basic at first glance, but it features a layer of sweet berry jam spread right in the center, so you get a bit of that delicious jam filling in every bite. The sweet berry flavor works SO well with the buttery cake. You simply have to try it to know what I’m talking about!
While you could totally use homemade jam here (how delicious would that be!), I went the easy route and used store-bought. I always go for organic jam (this brand is hands down our favorite), made without corn syrup or any weird artificial ingredients. And jam is one of those things we seem to always have in our fridge. We love mixing some in with buckwheat or oatmeal, or spreading on homemade pancakes.
This one took me a couple of tries, simply because I used the wrong pan the first time. I opted for a round cake pan and, not only was it harder to get out, I did experience a bit of overflow. So it was back to the drawing board! I used a springform pan the second time, which ended up being perfect. It made for a much cleaner presentation and, because my springform pan is quite a bit deeper than the round cake pan, no spillage! Yay!
You will want to store this cake in the refrigerator, in an airtight container. Personally, I think this cake is delicious both cold AND warm, so feel free to bring to room temperature or slightly warm up in the microwave before serving leftovers (if you even have any left, that is).
Why You’ll Love This Gluten Free Jam Cake…
- It’s such a soft and buttery cake, and the layer of jam really gives it that extra something.
- You don’t need to worry about decorating! The cake is delicious on its own and doesn’t require any frosting… but you can always top it off with a light dusting of powdered sugar 🙂
- You likely have all of the ingredients on hand already.
What You’ll Need…
- The dry ingredients: flour + baking powder + baking soda + salt.
- The fat: unsalted butter.
- The flavor: sugar + vanilla extract + your favorite berry jam.
- Extra moisture: Greek yogurt.
How To Make…
Like many recipes, you will start by combining your dry ingredients, then set that aside and cream the softened butter with the sugar. Mix in the vanilla and yogurt, then gradually add in the dry ingredients while mixing on low speed (or stir in by hand). This batter is thick, since we’re not adding any milk or other liquids… but don’t be alarmed! This is a dense and buttery cake, so the thick batter is to be expected and perfectly normal.
Now, pour 2/3 of the batter into a lightly greased springform pan. Spread your favorite berry jam on top, then pour in the rest of the batter. Don’t worry if the top layer of batter doesn’t cover the jam completely. It will spread as it bakes and should cover up any pockets of jam that might be peeking out.
Bake on 350ºF for about 40-45 minutes. Be sure the cake has cooled completely before attempting to remove it from the pan.
And that’s all there is to it! I recommend enjoying with a cup of coffee in the morning 🙂
Jam Cake – Gluten Free, Eggless
- 2 ¼ cups (333g) gluten free flour blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (168g) Greek yogurt room temperature
- ⅔ cup (226g) seedless berry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8 or 9 inch springform pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar until combined. Add the vanilla extract and yogurt and mix. Stir the dry ingredients in on low speed until just combined. The batter will be thick and slightly sticky.
- Pour 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Spread the berry jam on top of the batter, then pour the remaining batter on top. Don't worry if the batter doesn't cover the jam completely. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from pan.
Did you make my gluten free jam cake? Leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @justastastyblog and #justastastyblog!