These gluten free pancakes from scratch are such a quick and easy treat for breakfast (or any time of the day, really).
Quick question: who doesn’t enjoy warm, fluffy pancakes? Anyone? We LOVE pancakes in our house, and we especially love homemade pancakes. It’s not something we have too often for breakfast, but we do like to whip them up every once in a while as a Saturday morning treat — and we’ve been known to make pancakes for dinner, too 🙂
Although I’ve tried out a few store-bought gluten free pancake mixes that I thought were really good, I figured it was about time I learned how to make pancakes from scratch. There have been so many times when one of us has been craving pancakes, yet we’ve been out of pancake mix. That will no longer be a problem!
This recipe is my go-to now — no more boxed pancake mixes for me! The resulting pancakes are seriously soft and fluffy. Perfection!
Why I Love These Pancakes From Scratch…
- This recipe really doesn’t call for any special ingredients. Everything that you’ll need to make these pancakes is likely already in your kitchen.
- Did I mention they’re fluffy? So, so fluffy. It may seem like a lot of baking powder, but that’s what will give you the light and fluffy texture.
- These are perfectly sweet on their own, so you can even enjoy as is with some butter — although we love organic maple syrup or strawberry jam on ours.
How To Make…
The whole process couldn’t be more straightforward. You’re going to start by whisking together your dry ingredients, then add the oil, milk, and vanilla extract right in and stir gently. If you’ve ever made pancakes, you probably know the drill — do NOT over-mix! You will likely have some lumps in your batter, and that’s totally okay.
You will need to let the batter sit for about 10-15 minutes before cooking these up. This step is super important for light and fluffy pancakes because it really allows for all of that baking powder to work its magic.
After that, you’ll want to heat up a greased griddle or skillet (side note: we LOVE our griddle, which I’ve linked at the bottom of the post.. we totally use it more than we thought we would) on medium heat, then scoop about 1/4 cup of batter and cook each side for about a minute. You’ll know when the pancakes are ready to flip, the edges will start to bubble.
And that’s all there is to it! Serve right away and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
PS – for any fellow food bloggers reading this… is it just me, or are pancakes pretty hard to photograph?! Having to get your shots in before the butter completely melts, making sure you have the right amount of syrup… harder than it looks!
Pancakes From Scratch – Gluten Free, Eggless
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add oil, milk, and vanilla and stir gently until just combined, being careful not to over-mix. Let batter sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a greased griddle or skillet over medium heat. Drop 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle and cook until the sides start to bubble, about 1 minute, before flipping to cook the other side. Grease griddle between batches if/as necessary.
- Be careful not to over-mix the batter. Some lumps are normally and will cook out.
- It’s very important to let the batter sit at LEAST 10 minutes, if not more, before cooking. This will yield the fluffiest pancakes!
- Feel free to add chocolate chips or blueberries to the batter for a fun twist on a classic recipe.
Did you make my gluten free pancakes from scratch? Tag me on Instagram @justastastyblog and #justastastyblog.