These easy gluten free vanilla cupcakes without eggs are moist and delicious yet not cloyingly sweet.
Sometimes you just need a super simple and easy recipe. And because everyone loves a good cupcake, I figured I would share my take on gluten free vanilla cupcakes (without eggs, of course), complete with buttercream frosting. If chocolate is more your thing, be sure to check out my gluten free and chocolate cupcakes without eggs!
My vanilla cupcakes are straightforward but far from basic. They’re not cloyingly sweet, because we’re getting plenty of sugar in our frosting. And they’re extra moist and soft.
One thing I learned as I developed and tested this recipe (a few times…) is that it’s actually kind of hard to get that perfect texture. My first attempt ended up too dense and chewy for my liking, so I ended up cutting the sour cream completely, increasing the milk, and decreasing the egg replacer. And the end result was just what I was looking for!
These gluten free vanilla cupcakes are perfect for birthdays and holidays. I can guarantee this will be one of those classic recipes you’ll turn to time and time again, because it’s so easy and you can really get creative with the decorating.
Why I Love These Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes…
- They’re the perfect little treat when you want to indulge. A single cupcake is enough to satisfy that sweet tooth (though no one will judge if you go in for seconds…).
- There are no complicated ingredients or techniques involved here.
- This is a great base for just about any frosting and decorations you want to top them with! I personally went for a classic buttercream — you can always go with that and add food coloring or sprinkles for any theme or holiday you’re baking for!
What You’ll Need…
- The dry ingredients: flour for structure + baking powder for leavening.
- The flavor: sugar, salt, vanilla extract.
- The moisture: milk and vegetable oil.
- To replace the egg: use Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer.
- Top it off with: butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream.
How To Make Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes Without Eggs…
To make my easy vanilla cupcakes, start by combining your dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. In a separate, larger bowl, whisk the oil with the egg replacer, sugar, and vanilla.
You’ll want to add your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients next, but we’re doing this in 3 parts. Start with a bit of your dry mix, then stir in half of the milk. Add dry mix again, then the rest of the milk. Stir to combine, then add the rest of the dry mix and stir until you have your batter.
Fill up your cupcake liners just a little bit more than halfway. Bake on 350ºF for about 18 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
To make the buttercream frosting, beat a stick of butter until it’s light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Stream in the powdered sugar while continuing to beat, then add heavy cream one tablespoon at a time until you have the desired consistency. Pipe or spread onto your cupcakes… and enjoy!
For More Gluten Free Cupcake Recipes Without Eggs, Check Out My…
- Carrot cake cupcakes
- Hot cocoa cupcakes
- Cream soda cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes
- Coconut cream cupcakes
Easy Vanilla Cupcakes – Gluten Free, Eggless
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tbsp water
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk room temperature
For the buttercream frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil, egg replacer, sugar, and vanilla.
- Mix in the dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with the milk and making sure to start and end with dry ingredients (the order should be: dry ingredients, milk, dry ingredients, milk, dry ingredients; mixing slightly after each addition until everything is combined).
- Spoon batter into the cupcake liners, a little over halfway full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
For the buttercream frosting:
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until light and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and continue to mix until combined.
- Add heavy cream one tablespoon at a time while continuing to beat until the buttercream is the desired consistency. Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Be sure to follow the instructions on the package of Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer. Once mixed with water, the egg replacer must sit for just a few minutes to thicken.
- If you are not looking to replace eggs, you should be able to use 1 egg instead of the egg replacer.
- You may not end up using all 4 tablespoons of heavy cream, but you will not need more than that.
Did you make my easy vanilla cupcakes? Tag me on Instagram @justastastyblog and #justastastyblog!