These coffee-flavored homemade rice crispy treats are made without any corn syrup or artificial flavors, and will literally take you minutes.
I’ll be honest, I went back and forth a couple of times about sharing this recipe on here. On the one hand, it’s so ridiculously easy and straightforward, and I know plenty of you out there already know how to make homemade rice crispy treats. On the other hand, I love my take on the classic treat because it’s allergy-friendly — not only is it gluten free, it doesn’t contain corn syrup or any artificial flavors or preservatives… thanks to the marshmallows.
I discovered Smashmallow shortly after we learned about Matt’s allergies, when I was researching allergy-friendly and organic brands. Needless to say, we were hooked the minute we tried these! I know this sounds like a sponsored post, but I promise it’s not. I genuinely feel this strongly about their products and can’t help but share with all of you.
While they have lots of flavors to choose from, I recommend making these homemade rice crispy treats with the chocolate dipped cold brew flavor. Trust me on this one… the chocolate and coffee flavors in these really elevate the rice crispy treats and take them to the next level. If you’re not able to get your hands on this particular flavor, you can use pretty much any one you like!
Why I Love These Homemade Rice Crispy Treats…
- I think I’ve already thoroughly covered this point, but I just love that this particular brand of marshmallows isn’t made with corn syrup or any hard to pronounce ingredients.
- It’s an easy, no-bake treat. If you have butter, gluten free rice cereal, and Smashmallows on hand, you can make these in minutes. The hardest part is waiting for them to set!
- I find rice crispy treats in general to be such a nostalgic snack. I remember having the store-bought kind as a kid, but making them homemade is even better! And, lots of fun if you have little helpers with you at home.
How To Make…
As I said above, I’m sure many of you know how this goes. You’ll start by melting your Smashmallows with some unsalted butter in a saucepan. Make sure to stir continuously so that your mixture doesn’t burn.
Once it’s all incorporated and smooth, pour over your rice cereal in a large bowl. Stir that all up, then use a greased spatula to pour and spread your mixture into an 8×8 pan (I recommend lining the pan with parchment paper first to keep it all from getting too messy).
I typically allow my rice crispy treats to set at room temperature for just about an hour, before slicing and serving! And that’s really all there is to it 🙂
Homemade Rice Crispy Treats – Gluten Free
- 1 4.5 oz bag Dark Chocolate Dipped Cold Brew Smashmallows
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups gluten free rice cereal
- Line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the Smashmallows and butter over medium heat, stirring continuously. Once fully melted and smooth, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted Smashmallows and the rice cereal. Using a greased rubber spatula, pour and spread the mixture into prepared pan. Allow to set for 1 hour at room temperature before cutting and serving.
- While this is my recommended Smashmallow flavor for this treat, if you’re unable to find this particular kind, any of their flavors can be substituted.
Did you make my homemade rice crispy treats? Tag me on Instagram @justastastyblog and #justastastyblog.