I bet you already have the ingredients for this super easy gluten free chocolate chip mug cake in your pantry! If you’re looking for a quick dessert, this one has you covered.
A couple of weeks ago, we had just finished picking up after having dinner when I was hit with an intense dessert craving. We had some dark chocolate, which is what I treat myself to most nights, but it just wasn’t going to cut it this time.
After perusing Pinterest for easy single-serving desserts, I came across this recipe from Tastes Better From Scratch. I made some slight adjustments, and it truly was the perfect little dose of dessert. We actually ended up making two (one for each of us) and Matt loved it so much, he asked me to make it again for him the very next night.
Another major plus is that you mix up the ingredients right in the mug you’ll be eating out of — so, less dirty dishes to deal with! That’s always a win in my book.
Why I Love This Chocolate Chip Mug Cake…
- It takes about 5 minutes to make.
- I pretty much always have all of the ingredients on hand.
- No need to even turn on the oven.
- It’s so easy to adjust and customize the recipe… swap out the chocolate chips for butterscotch, or sprinkles, or leave them out completely!
How To Make…
All it really takes is mixing up the dry ingredients, adding in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla, giving it another good mix (make sure you scrape up the flour from the bottom!) and then popping your mug into the microwave. The chocolate chips are totally optional but, in my opinion, the melted chocolate makes this little dessert even more decadent.
We tested this a few different times and decided we like it best when cooked for 55 seconds because we like it gooey. Because this is an eggless recipe, you don’t really have to worry about it being undercooked, which is great! I would just recommend keeping an eye on it and checking it around the 60 second mark, since cook times will vary with different microwaves.
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake – Gluten Free, Eggless
- ¼ cup + 1 ½ teaspoons gluten free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- handful chocolate chips
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a microwave-safe mug until combined.
- Add butter, half and half, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined. Carefully mix in chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 60-80* seconds. Allow to cool about 1 minute before handling.
Did you make my gluten free chocolate chip mug cake? Tag me on Instagram @justastastyblog and use #justastastyblog!